Get cash incentives to cut water use
Owners of buildings served by utilities in the Saving Water Partnership can lower their water, sewer and energy bills by installing efficient fixtures and appliances. Newer, efficient toilet models can reduce your water use by 30-40%, and sometimes more.
$100 rebate when replacing older toilets with efficient models. Premium 1.1 gpf (gallons per flush or less) toilets have been independently tested and certified to meet specific criteria. These fixtures are proven to provide reliable water savings and performance, and they achieve superior savings—a minimum of 30% better than current plumbing code fixtures. View Multifamily toilet replacement rebate
Tips and recommendations:
- Test toilet fixtures before committing to a retrofit of your fixtures.
- Follow the Tank Toilet Commissioning Checklist (docx) when installing any new fixture.
See how businesses saved money and water by replacing their old fixtures with new, efficient ones.
Water-saving tips for tenants
Here are five water-saving tips to help tenants save water:
- Reduce shower waste – ask your building manager to install an efficient showerhead and keep showers to less than five minutes.
- Turn off the faucet – You don’t need to keep the faucet running when you are brushing your teeth, washing dishes or shaving. Also ask your building manager to replace older faucet aerators (nozzles) with water efficient aerators.
- Wash full loads of laundry and dishes or choose the load size the matches the amount of clothes or dishes that need washing.
- Report leaks to your building manager – Leaky toilets, showerheads, faucets and other fixtures can waste thousands of gallons of water.
- Use a hose efficiently – Use a nozzle on the house and wash your car at a commercial car wash that reuses its water. Also, sweep driveways and sidewalks with a broom rather than wasting water from a hose.
- Tips For Tenants—Conserving Water in Your Apartment flyer (pdf): Print and distribute to give tenants simple steps to save water.
How else can I save?
- Replace clothes washers – Newer, efficient models use about 30% less water and save up to 50% of energy costs.
Green Business Program: Get help developing individual business solutions to save water and lower utility bills.
Cost Savings Calculator (xls) – Estimate how much money you can save on utility bills by switching to more efficient equipment, technology and procedures.