Install water-efficient fixtures and appliances
Owners of buildings served by utilities in the Saving Water Partnership can lower their water, sewer, and energy bills by installing efficient fixtures and appliances. Newer, efficient toilets can reduce your water use by 30 to 40 percent, and sometimes more.
Replace old toilets
Older toilets can use 3.5 gallons per flush or more and some early low-flow toilets can require two flushes to clear the bowl. Rebates are available to replace toilets installed before 2004 with the most efficient models.
Look for WaterSense
WaterSense-labeled clothes washers, dishwashers, faucets, and showerheads meet efficiency and performance standards.
Leaks account for 12% of indoor water use.
- Learn about how to find and address leaks in multifamily properties.
- Tools to help residents save water and report leaks right away.
- Green Business Program: Get help developing individual business solutions to save water and lower utility bills.
- EPA’s Water Score for multifamily buildings: resource guides and assessment worksheets for property managers that want to do a deep dive into water efficiency.
- Water Conservation for Apartment and Condo Building Managers (pdf).