Get Cash Incentives to Cut Water Use
Owners of buildings served by utilities in the Saving Water Partnership can get financial assistance to upgrade.
Up to $2,500 for replacing inefficient commercial kitchen equipment with water-efficient equipment. View rebates >
- About Food Steamers Standard boiler-based steam cookers draw hot water the entire time the equipment is on. This water that you have paid for and paid to heat is going down the drain while the equipment is on. In addition, more water is wasted to cool down the hot water as it goes down the drain. An inefficient six-pan steamer could be using over 170,000 gallons of water per year. With an SWP rebate and the money you will save on energy and water bills, you could recover the cost of a new steamer in less than two years.
- About Dish Washers ENERGY STAR commercial dishwashers are on average 25% more water efficient and 25% more energy efficient and will use an average of 1,000 fewer gallons per week than old inefficient commercial dishwashers. In addition, ENERGY STAR models use significantly less energy, mainly by heating water more efficiently. Because of this extra benefit SWP has teamed up with energy suppliers to offer incentives for Energy-Star commercial dishwashers. ENERGY STAR brands can save hundreds of dollars a year.
- About Ice Machines Only the super-efficient ice machines from the Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) third-tier list of machines qualify for SWP rebates. These machines have air-cooled condensers and are very efficient making the ice with little water waste. These machines could save you up to $1,000 per year on your water bills and will virtually eliminate water discharged down the sewer, for even greater utility bill savings.
Rebates for up to 50% of costs for projects involving space cooling, refrigeration systems and industrial ice-makers. View rebate >
In almost all cases, single-pass use of water for cooling is highly wasteful and expensive. Many water-saving options are available – from replacing the equipment with air-cooled equipment, re-circulating the water through a remote refrigeration unit, or tapping an existing source of chilled re-circulating water.
Toilets and Urinals
$100 rebate when replacing older toilets and urinals with efficient models:
- Flush Valve Toilet & Urinal rebate – $100 High-efficiency commercial flush-valve toilets have achieved excellent performance and customer satisfaction. WaterSense urinals have been independently tested and certified to meet specific criteria as established by the EPA WaterSense program.
Tips and recommendations:
- Test toilet fixtures and flush-valve combinations before committing to a retrofit of your fixtures.
- Follow the Flush Valve Toilets and Urinals Commissioning Checklist (docx) when installing any new fixture.
- View case studies of high-efficiency toilets and urinals installed in landmark buildings and in a large office tower.
- Tank Toilet rebate – $100 Premium toilets (pdf) use 1.1 gpf or less and are the most efficient WaterSense models. WaterSense toilets use 1.28 gallons per flush (gpf) or less and have been independently tested and certified to meet specific criteria as established by the EPA WaterSense program. Premium toilets use 20% less water and remove 70% more solid waste, compared to regular WaterSense toilets.
Tips and recommendations:
- Test toilet fixtures before committing to a retrofit of your fixtures.
- Follow the Tank Toilet Commissioning Checklist (docx) when installing any new fixture.
Cooling Tower Improvements
Up to 50% for projects involving space cooling, refrigeration systems and industrial ice-makers. View rebate
- Cooling Tower Workshop The Cool Tunes Manual and workshop series that took place in 2010 and 2011 provided attendees with cutting edge information and hands-on experience with efficiently-operated cooling towers. Information on the following items can be found in greater detail in the Cool Tunes Manual and in selected links and videos from the workshop series.
- Get your free Cool Tunes Manual (pdf)
- See footage from the workshop’s main presenter, Michael Groh.
- Real-time chemical control, Electronic conductivity sensors, and highly-functioning float valves (video)
- Metering of make-up, blowdown, and overflow
- Off season treatment (video)
- Hybrid cooling towers (video)
- Frequent calibration of all controllers (video)
Irrigation Systems Financial incentives and technical assistance are available for multifamily or commercial customers with one acre or more of irrigated area.
Empower Your Guests
Many hotel guests look for opportunities to reduce their water and energy consumption while on vacation, so provide environmentally-friendly choices:
- Offer guests the opportunity to request clean sheets and towels as needed, rather than automatically providing new ones daily.
- Encourage guests to set air-conditioning and heating units on low when needed, and turn them off when they’re not in the room.
Save in the Kitchen and Bathroom
Most of your indoor water use is in the kitchen and bathroom so embrace the many opportunities to save water and money in these areas:
- Reduce dishwashing loads and ice-maker loads by serving customers water only when they ask for it. Ask a customer before automatically refilling their glass.
- Use a pressure regulator to reduce the water volume in the dishwasher. Only use as much water as the manufacturer specifies. Check that water only flows when the dishes enter the machine.
- When manually washing dishes, fill the second sink for dipping dishes and equipment, instead of using running water. Install manual triggers on all sink spray hoses.
- Replace all pre-rinse spray valves with high efficiency models, 1.6 gpm or less.
- Install foot pedal or other manual controls so that garbage disposal water only runs when needed.
- Replace showerheads and faucet nozzles (aerators) with WaterSense certified ones.
- Consider donating edible food and signing up for food waste collection and eliminate the use of a garbage disposal.
For more information contact Arece Hampton at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 733-9137.
Cost Savings Calculator (xls) – Estimate savings on utility bills by switching to more efficient equipment, technology and procedures.
Cool Tunes Manual (pdf) – See savings through consistent monitoring of chemical, conductivity, water make-up and blowdown, any unusual spike in water consumption.
High-Efficiency Kitchen Equipment Find EnergyStar kitchen equipment.